Saturday, January 29, 2011

Mi primera fin de semana

To my beloved friends and family,


Since training has yet to get very intensive, I've had a lot of time to keep you updated.  I promise I actually did go to Nicaragua, there are not computers at every corner, and I am spending time outside of the ciber.  But since I've got some time, I figured I'd write about my first weekend in Masatepe.  Someone's got to be at least a little curious, or, at the very least, people can use it as yet another reason to not study for midterms.


There was an earthquake last Friday near the coast.  It was a 5.1 on the Richter scale, (Tim, is that good?), and we felt it all the way over in Masatepe, which is a couple hours' bus ride away.  It was kind of exciting to feel the ground and house shake, and to be able to say I've experienced an earthquake, but what devastation did it leave in it's wake?  You'll have to research that one on your own, because I don't know. I just added that last phrase in to keep the rhyme going.


For the first week it was a nightly routine to play with the kids in the street in front of my house.  There's always about 10 out there just hanging out anyways, ranging in age from 6 to 12, and having an older person play makes it all the more exciting.  But they do not take competition lightly.  As it should be.  Life's too short to lose or "play fair".  Sharing can beat it too.  OK, so they do play fair and share, (rhyming's in my blood), but there have definitely been some heated arguments, of which I understood very little.  We play whatever strikes their fancy that particular evening, be it fútbol, kickbol, or noche y día, a think-fast, tag-type game.


However, lately this has become a less frequent occurance because, as I´m sure will surprise everyone, I found the soccer ballers.  They play on and extremely slippery cement court with a relatively flat ball, but it is an absolute blast and I could do it all day everyday.  I just discovered the court a few days ago, but I go out there every chance I get.  Some of the guys hit it up just to run around and hang out, but most are pretty good.  I go with fellow Trainee and next-door neighbor, Kati, who I have to give props to because she is always the only girl playing.  It's also a great way to integrate into the community because they see us out there and get to know us and realize that we're here for a good while, and not just a week or two. The last time we played, we went til dark and got to chat with the guys afterwards and learned all the nicknames they have, very few of which are kind.  One guy assumed we were German because we play soccer, which I found hilarious, but most enjoy the opportunity to practice their English.  They call me chele and her chela, the Nica word for gringo.  My host family finds it quite amusing how much I play, partly because I come home drenched in sweat everyday.


On Saturday Carlo took me to Jinotepe to buy soccer cleats, (which they call tacos, oddly enough), and a short-sleeved button-down because I'm supposed to wear them when I'm working and I die in the long sleeves.  They didn't have cleats anywhere in my size, because Nicaraguans aren't as big as Nickaraguans, so we then travelled to Diriamba, found a cheap but decent pair, and bussed home.  I really liked Jinotepe.  It reminded me of being in Mexico.  I also am head-over-heels in love with the Latin American bus system.  It's cheap, quick in comparison to the US, it's exciting to ride because it passes slower cars on two-lane roads and barely stops for passengers to board, and its refreshing to think that public transportation is actually utilized in parts of the world.  Sunday Carlo and I went with Kati, who lives with his mother, on a 5 km hike to the laguna at 5:30 in the morning. It was extremely steep and a bitch to get back up, but the lake was very cool and there are some great views.  The best part, however, was definitely when I decided to go off the path and explore the ruins of this huge mansion that belonged to the former, US backed, Nicaraguan president Anastosio Somoza.  It was super cool to see a huge, fancy builing in ruins in the middle of a jungle-like area.  It had a very Tomb Raider like feel.


But don't worry guys, I didn't forget about the fact that I have access to a flat-screen, either.  I watched most of the Bears-Packers game, and watch telenovelas nightly with Doña María and Salvadora.  It gets dark, I come in, we watch Truiunfo del Amor, I shower and eat, and then we watch India: Una Historia de Amor.  They help me practice my Spanish, and it helps me connect with the women of the house.  But these novelas are ridiculous.  I get excited when I finally understand whats going on with certain characters because I came in late in the show, and EVERYONE has a baby that the father doesn't know about or thinks is his own, but isn't.  And the ones that aren't in that situation are seducing someone for their money or betraying their son/friend/spouse.  It's quite entertaining.  


This has, by far, been my longest blog.  I had a lot to say.  I'll come home and everyone will just be like, "Yeah, Nick, no one wants to hear about Nicaragua.  I didn't actually read your blog, but your mom told me all about it.  Shut up."  Oh yeah? Fine.


Love you all muchísimo,


Nick


p.s.  I think it's stupid to italicize Spanish words in documents in English and I refuse to do it.

5 comments:

  1. OMG my mom watches INDIA!!! it's even extra funny cause it's a brazilian novela that was dubbed into spanish, it's crazy intense tho! tik tik lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOL'd at your Nickaraguan comment. But mostly I spent my blog reading time trying to figure out what the hell a 5 "km" hike is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nick! Loving the blog entries. Keep 'em coming!! Sounds like you are having a great time. Can't wait to hear more!

    Uncle Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep the blogs coming! Parece que todo esten bien! Saludos y abrazos fuertes! Tio John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep those posts coming. Espero que todo esten bien. Abrazos fuertes, Tio John

    ReplyDelete